NPPA reduces Prices of 9 Non-Scheduled Cancer Drugs by 87%
The National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA) has reduced the prices of 9 non-scheduled cancer drugs by up to 87%. This decision is in continuation of nodal agency’s efforts to bring down drugs prices.
- Reason: In February 2019, the government had capped about 42 cancer drugs at 30%. This new anti-cancer non-scheduled medicine list is in continuation of efforts to curb profiteering on these vital drugs and to make cure of cancer affordable for patients as well as for their families.
- Significance: More than 390 brands and about 72 formulations have reduced costs following the NPPA order. This price reduction is expected to benefit more than 22 lakh cancer patients in India and will result in annual savings of around Rs.800 crore rupees to patients.
- Details: NPPA, the Drug pricing regulator issued an office memorandum which mentioned that:
- Maximum Retail Price (MRP) of 500 mg chemotherapy injection called ‘pemetrexed’ which is used to treat lung cancer, has been reduced from Rs.22000 to Rs.2800.
- MRP of 150 mg ‘Erlotinib’ tablets will now cost Rs.2400 instead of Rs.8800.
- NPPA has also approved a formula which restricts trade margin of selling price by up to 30%.
- It was established by a Government of India Resolution in 1997. It is an office attached to Department of Pharmaceuticals (DoP), Ministry of Chemicals & Fertilizers.
- It is headquartered in New Delhi.
- Function: It is an independent Regulator for pricing of drugs. Ito ensures accessibility and availability of medicines to people at affordable prices.
- The NPPA currently fixes price of drugs on National List of Essential Medicines (NLEM) under schedule-I of Drug Price Control Orders (DPCO). Till date about 1,000 drugs have been price-capped by this mode.
Month: Current Affairs - May, 2019
Category: Economy & Banking Current Affairs - 2022
Topics: Anti-cancer drugs • Cancer drugs • Department of Pharmaceuticals • Drug Price Control Orders • Drug Pricing • Ministry of Chemicals & Fertilizers • national list of essential medicines • National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority • NLEM • NPPA
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|