Myanmar Military launches State Administrative Council
The Military regime in Myanmar has announced the establishment of a new State Administrative Council.
About State Administrative Council
- The administrative council is headed by the Army Chief General Min Aung Hlaing.
- It comprises of total 11 members.
- Out of the 11 members the eight members are from the military itself.
- The General Min Aung Hlaing addressed the meeting of the Union Government.
- After the meeting he announced that the election matters and the measures regarding the COVID-19 prevention & containment will be prioritized.
- He also announced that the voting frauds will be exposed.
- He further announced for the reconstitution of the Union Election Commission so as to implement the duties and functions.
What UN has said?
- The consensus statement on the development of Myanmar was out forward by the United Nations security Council after closed consultations.
- As per the press release, the Special Envoy of the Secretary-General Christine Schraner Burgener have asked the council members to give the full support for the democracy in Myanmar.
Military Rule in Myanmar
The military of Myanmar took the control of the country and a one-year state of emergency was announced on February 1 2021. The State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi and other government leaders were also detained. This happened in the backdrop of victory of Suu Kyi’s party in election that was held in November 2020. The military took over the country because it regarded the victory a result of frauds. Following that, the Myanmar Civil Disobedience Movement has been started in opposition to the military’s takeover.
The state emergency was announced because of government was failed in tackling the situation. Despite that, the Suu Kyi’s party won the election. Thus, the military took over in the country as per the Article 417 of the Myanmar’s constitution that gives power to the military to take over in times of emergency. The military had framed the constitution of Myanmar in the year 2008. During that time, thus the military retains power under the charter at the expense of democratic, civilian rule.
Category: International / World Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|