Maharashtra government declares Thane creek area as 'Flamingo Sanctuary'
Maharashtra government has declared the area along Thane Creek as Flamingo Sanctuary.
In this regard State Revenue and Forest Department has issued notification to declare northern part of the creek as a wildlife sanctuary as per provisions of Section 18 of the Wildlife (Protection Act), 1972.
It should be noted that this Sanctuary is Maharashtra’s second Marine sanctuary after Malvan (marine) Wildlife Sanctuary which was declared in 1987.
Facts about Flamingo Sanctuary
- The sanctuary has been named as the Thane Creek Flamingo Sanctuary.
- It is located on the western bank of the Thane Creek between the Vashi and Airoli bridges that connect Mumbai with Navi Mumbai.
- It is spread over an area of 1,690 hectares which include 794 hectares of adjacent water body and 896 hectares of mangroves.
- The adjoining mangrove areas on either side of the creek will be the eco-sensitive zone (ESZ) of the Sanctuary. These areas are already have been notified as Reserve Forests.
- Management of the Sanctuary: It will be managed by the ‘Mumbai Mangrove Conservation Unit’ under the aegis of Mangrove Cell.
Flamingo Habitat in Thane Creek Flamingo Sanctuary
Every year Thane Creek has been attracting migratory flamingos in large numbers since 1994.
Migration period: The flamingos along with their chicks in the month of November migrate to Mumbai (Thane creek region) and occupy the mudflats and the bordering mangroves in this region. They stay in this region till May after which they migrate to the Bhuj area of Gujarat for breeding.
Species found: 90 per cent of the Flamingo population consists of Lesser Flamingos (Phoenicopterus minor)and the remaining 10 per cent are Greater Flamingos (Phoenicopterus roseus). Around 200 species are also spotted along with the flamingos including large numbers of waders (bird species), globally threatened species of Greater Spotted Eagle and other migratory birds.
Category: States Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|