July 10: National Fish Farmers Day
National Fish Farmers Day is observed on July 10, annually in India.
- The day is celebrated to exhibit solidarity with fish farmers, fisher folks, and concerned stakeholders across India.
- Year 2022 marked the 65th National Fish Farmers Day.
- The day was celebrated in virtual mode by the Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry & Dairying and National Fisheries Development Board in Hyderabad.
Why is this day celebrated?
The National Fisheries day is celebrated every year, to commemorate the contribution of Professor Dr Hiralal Chaudhuri and his colleague Alikunhi in successfully inducing the breeding of major carps. He induced breeding of major carps on July 10, 1957 at Angul in Odisha. This was done for the first time in India, by administering the pituitary hormone extract of carp in breeding of major carps. This method was later standardised and synthetic hormones were started being developed for quality seed production in India.
National Fisheries Development Board (NFDB)
NFDB was set up in 2006 as an autonomous organization under Department of Fisheries of Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry & Dairying. It was established for enhancing the fish production and productivity in India as well as to synchronize fishery development in an integrated and holistic way. It is supporting several initiatives for fishery development:
- Intensive aquaculture in ponds and tanks
- Capture fisheries in reservoirs, based on culture
- Coastal Aquaculture
- Sea Weed Cultivation
- Establishment of fishing harbours and fish landing centres
- Domestic marketing etc.
Who looks after the activities of NFDB?
Activities of NFDB are looked after by a Governing Body, under the aegis of the Union Agriculture Minister. Activities of the Board is considered and decided by the Governing Body and the Executive Committee. They also provide periodic guidance to the board.
Who heads the NFDB?
NFDB is headed by a Chief Executive.
Month: Current Affairs - July, 2022
Category: Important Days & Events Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|