Japan- IMD partnership on Climate Change
The India Meteorological Department (IMD) has partnered with Government of Japan, and United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) on Climate Change. They have launched an initiative to hasten climate action across 10 states and Union Territories in India.
Important facts related to the initiative include;
- This initiative will extend support to Nationally Determined Contribution (NDCs), in a bid to achieve net-zero emissions. It will also ensure climate-resilient development.
- Initiative will be launched in association with IMD at the Ministry of Earth Sciences and Ministry of New & Renewable Energy (MNRE).
- Its launch is followed by cabinet approval of India’s updated Nationally Determined Contribution (NDCs), that will be forwarded to United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change.
- As a part of the initiative, UNDP will work in collaboration with IMD to promote climate resilience and MNRE for promoting climate mitigation.
- They will promote climate mitigation by placing clean energy infrastructure and low-emission technologies in important sectors like Health; Transport; Micro, Small, & Medium Enterprises (MSMEs), and Agriculture.
Initiative will also manifest resilient climate planning at grassroot level via climate information flow systems across 30 Gram Panchayats. It is aimed at promoting green jobs and green entrepreneurship in sectors such as Renewable Energy by providing skilling and training to over 2000 people. For this project, Japan has provided USD 5.16 million climate grant to UNDP India.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|