India’s first e-waste eco-park
On February 24, 2022, the Deputy Chief Minister of Delhi, Manish Sisodia, announced that Delhi will get India’s first e-waste eco-park.
- First electronic-waste eco-friendly park will be set up in Delhi, to handle the increasing e-waste. Dismantling, Re-cycling, Re-furbishing and re-manufacturing of the waste will be done in a safe and scientific manner.
- It will be built on 20 acres of land.
Waste Generation in Delhi
Currently, Delhi produces 2 lakh tonnes of e-waste every year. However, it is not being handled scientifically and safely. It is handled and recycled by informal recyclers. This led to many life-threatening incidents such as fire breakouts, which in turn impacts the health of residents and waste handlers of Delhi.
Features of Such Eco- Park
- The e-waste eco-part will comprise of an authorised refurbishing market as a secondary product sale market for batteries, electronic goods, laptops, chargers, mobiles and PCs.
- Across the 12 zones, collection centres will be set up, in order to channelise e-waste.
- The e-waste eco-park will provide infrastructure, training and tools to the operators from informal sector, in a bid to groom them as formal recyclers.
- This facility will comprise of dismantling, refurbishing, segregation, plastic recycling, material wise storage, and testing, and precious metal extraction facilities, from Printed Circuit Boards (PCBs) through high-end technologies.
- It will provide integrated and environmentally-safe disposal of e-waste, using innovative technologies. This will help in reduce the pollution and adverse impact on environment.
- The activities in the park will be targeted towards small and medium scale enterprises clusters, which are involved in e-waste recycling. They will include refurbishment, segregation, disassembly, stocking of segregated materials such as plastics, metals, glass and components.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|