India to send 228 contingent to Tokyo Olympics
India is all set to sending a 228-strong contingent to Tokyo Olympics, including 119 athletes.
- Of 119 athletes, 67 are male and 52 female participants.
- 119 athletes from 22 states will represent 130 crore Indians in 18 sport disciplines.
- India is fighting for 85 medal events.
- It will be largest ever contingent of athletes from India at Olympics.
- The first contingent for Tokyo will leave on July 17 comprising of 90 athletes and officials.
2020 Summer Olympics
This international multi-sports event, branded as Tokyo 2020, is scheduled to be held from July 23 to August 8, 2021 in Tokyo, Japan. Earlier, it was scheduled to take place in 2020 but event was postponed because of the COVID-19 pandemic. This year, event is going to be held largely behind closed doors. No spectators have been permitted under state of emergency. This event retains Tokyo 2020 name even though it has been rescheduled for 2021, for marketing & branding purposes.
How many times Olympic games got postponed?
This is the first time that Olympic Games have been postponed & rescheduled but was not cancelled.
Which country is hosting the event?
Tokyo has been selected as host city. It was selected during 125th IOC Session in Buenos Aires, Argentina in 2013. Japan will be hosting Olympic Games for the second time. First Olympic that Tokyo hosted was in 1964. Thus, Tokyo has become the first city in Asia to host Summer Games twice. Overall, 2020 games will be the fourth Olympic Games to be held in Japan.
Month: Current Affairs - July, 2021
Category: Sports Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|