How India has performed in the Henley Passport Index 2022?
Henley Passport Index 2022 was recently published by immigration consultancy Henley & partners. In the index, India has been ranked at 87th position, among 199 world’s most powerful passports in 2022. Ranking was based on the number of destinations the passport holders could access without prior visa.
Performance of the countries in index:
- Among the 199 countries, Japan was ranked first. It is followed by Singapore and South Korea.
- These three countries have reversed the pre-covid-19 pandemic rankings, in which European nations were dominating.
- Japan’s passport provides entry to 193 countries without prior visa. On the other hand, Singapore and South Korea allows hassle-free entry to 192 countries.
- Top 10 countries in World’s most powerful passports list include-Japan, Singapore, South Korea, Germany, Spain, Finland, Italy, Luxemburg, Austria and Denmark (in the order).
- European nations, US and UK are among other top-ranked countries.
- Passport holders from Afghanistan have access to just 27 countries. On the other hand, Iraqi passport provide hassle free entry to 29 countries. These two countries have been ranked at lowest position.
Performance of India and its neighbour:
- Among Asian countries; India, Mauritius and Tajikistan share the 87th position, with hassle-free entry to 67 countries, without prior visa.
- China and Bolivia are ranked at 69th Their passports allow access to 80 destinations.
- Bangladesh is at 104th position.
- Pakistan has the fourth worst passport worldwide, with access to 32 destinations.
The ranking was given to countries on the basis of data from International Air Transport Association. It maintains the largest database of travel information of the world.
Month: Current Affairs - July, 2022
Category: Reports & Indexes Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|