DRDO flight-tests New Generation Akash Missile (Akash-NG)
New Generation Akash Missile (Akash-NG), a surface-to-air Missile has been successfully flight-tested Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO) on 21 July, 2021 from Integrated Test Range (ITR) off the coast of Odisha.
- Having a range of 80km Akash-NG has a better range compared to the original version which has a range of around 25 km.
- The flight trial was conducted from a land-based platform with all weapon system elements such as Command, Control and Communication System, Multifunction Radar and launcher participating in the deployment configuration.
- DRDL, Hyderabad in collaboration with other DRDO laboratories has developed this missile system.
- Representatives from the Indian Air Force witnessed this launch.
- ITR, in order to capture flight data, deployed Radar and Telemetry and Electro-Optical Tracking System.
- This missile has demonstrated that it can easily neutralizing agile and fast aerial threats due to its high manoeuvrability.
Aftermath of the tests
Complete flight data captured during the tests has confirmed the successful performance of the weapon system. Akash-NG weapon system will give a boost to the Indian Air Force’s arsenal. Production agencies BDL and BEL also participated in this trial.
After the successful completion of the tests Rajnath Singh, Union Defence Minister congratulated DRDO, Indian Air Force, BEL, BDL and the entire defence industry and also stated that the Missile will strengthen the Indian Force.
Month: Current Affairs - July, 2021
Category: Defence Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|