Draft Food Safety & Standards (Genetically Modified or Engineered Foods) Regulations, 2021
“Draft Food Safety and Standards (Genetically Modified or Engineered Foods) Regulations, 2021” was issued by Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) on November 15, 2021.
- The draft regulation will be applicable to:
- Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs)
- Genetically Engineered Organisms (GEOs)
- Living Modified Organisms (LMOs)
- It was issued for direct use as food or for processing.
- It will be applicable to Food or Processed food comprising of Genetically Modified ingredients produced from but not containing GMOs, LMOs or GEOs.
Provisions of the draft regulations
- No person will manufacture, store, sell, distribute, or import any food or food ingredient derived from Genetically Modified Organisms, in country, except with prior approval from Food Authority.
- Under the regulation, any food laboratory that has been notified in accordance with section 43 of Food Safety & Standards Act, 2006 can be designated for Genetically Modified Foods Testing.
- Form-I of the regulation specifies “Application for approval of food or processing aid comprising of Living Modified Organism (LMOs)” in the end product.
- Form-II of the regulation specifies “Application for Approval of food or processing aid derived from Genetically Modified Ingredients and not comprising of Living Modified Organism (LMOs).
Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI)
FSSAI is a statutory body, set up in accordance with the Food Safety & Standards Act, 2006. It was established under Ministry of Health & Family Welfare. FSSAI is responsible to protect and promote public health through regulation and supervision of food safety.
Category: Legal & Constitution Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|