Dinkar Gupta: New Director General of NIA
On June 23, 2022 Former DGP of Punjab Dinkar Gupta was appointed as the new Director General of National Investigation Agency (NIA).
- CRPF Director General, Kuldiep Singh, was given additional charge of NIA in May 2021, following the retirement of Y C Modi.
- Dinkar Gupta will hold the post till March 31, 2024 or till further orders. It is the date of his retirement.
Academic and career background
- Dinkar Gupta is having a Master’s degree in police administration. He has held the position of Director General of Punjab Police in 2019. He served this post for 2 years and 7 months.
- Later, he was shifted as Chairman of Punjab Police Housing Board, as he asked permission for a central deputation.
- He also served as Director General of Police, Intelligence, Punjab. It involved the direct supervision of Intelligence wing of Punjab, Organised Crime Control Unit (OCCU) and State Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS).
- He had an eight-year stint on central deputation during June 2004 to July 2012. He held sensitive assignments during this period, including as head of the Intelligence Bureau unit that looked after VVIPs security.
Awards and Achievements
Dinkar Gupta has been decorated with two police gallantry medals in 1992 and 1994. He was also given Police Medal for Meritorious Services by the President as well as President’s Police Medal for Distinguished Service in 2010. He was awarded with British Chevening Gurukul Scholarship, in 1999 by British Council at London School of Economics, London.
National Investigation Agency (NIA)
NIA is the primary counter-terrorists task force of India. It investigates terror related crimes, without getting any special permission from states under written proclamation from Ministry of Home Affairs. It was established on December 31, 2008, in accordance with National Investigation Agency Act 2008, in the aftermath of 26/11 terror attack in Mumbai. It is headquartered in New Delhi but has branches in Hyderabad, Kochi, Guwahati, Mumbai, Lucknow, Raipur, Kolkata, Chandigarh, Jammu, Chennai, Ranchi, and Imphal.
Month: Current Affairs - June, 2022
Category: Awards, Persons & Places in News
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|