CSIR-Ladakh inks MoU for S&T Development
Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) and the union territory of Ladakh recently signed an agreement for the development of the Union Territory through Science and Technology (S&T) interventions.
About the MoU
- The agreement was signed by CSIR-IIIM Director D. Srinivas Reddy and Rigzin Samplel who is the Commissioner Secretary Agriculture and Horticulture, Ladakh UT.
- The MoU was signed with the aim of establishing a knowledge partnership between CSIR and the Ladakh UT.
- It seeks to develop the areas like exploration of natural resources, introduction of cash crops in the region and bioresource utilization which is endemic to Ladakh.
- Various CSIR Institutes will now start research and development, extension and societal projects in accordance with the agreement. The projects will be based on their core competencies in the region.
- In the first phase institutes like CSIR-IIIM, CSIR-CMERI, CSIR-NBRI, CSIR-IHBT, CSIR-CLRI and CSIR-NGRI will provide extensive knowledge and technological support in the Union territory. For this purpose, CSIR-IIIM, Jammu will be the nodal institution.
- Major areas of interest include the aromatic and nutraceutical plants or crops, Geophysical mapping, eco-friendly leather processing, bioprospection of endemic microbial, industrial agriculture with a focus on commercialization of endemic & other high-value medicinal, plants diversity, and microbiological & biotechnological interventions.
Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR)
CSIR was established by the Government of India in September 1942. It was established as an autonomous body which now is the largest research and development organisation in India. The body is mainly funded by the Ministry of Science and Technology. It is functional as an autonomous body under the Societies Registration Act, 1860. The body is involved into various research and development activities such as structural engineering aerospace engineering, ocean sciences, metallurgy, chemicals, food, life sciences, petroleum, leather, and environmental science.
Category: States Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|