Continuous Marine Water Quality Monitoring System
Jawaharlal Nehru Port Authority (JNPA) has developed a Continuous Marine Water Quality Monitoring Station (CMWQMS) and launched Electric Environmental Monitoring Vehicle (EV).
What is a Continuous Marine Water Quality Monitoring Station?
- The Continuous Marine Water Quality Monitoring Station (CMWQMS) was developed by the Jawaharlal Nehru Port Authority in collaboration with the IIT Madras’ Department of Civil Engineering.
- It will be used alongside the electric monitoring vehicle (used for monitoring air quality) to regulate the quality of the environment surrounding the Jawaharlal Nehru Port.
- It will help JNPA to reduce the greenhouse gas footprint of vehicles and monitor compliance with environmental quality around the port estate through data like water quality stations data, temperature, pH, dissolved oxygen, ammonia, conductivity, nitrate, salinity, turbidity, and TDS of marine water.
- Such information and monitoring is vital for maintaining marine environment’s hygiene standards.
- The CMWQMS is one of the many environmental upgradations and green port initiatives of the JNPA.
Other initiatives of JNPA
JNPA is implementing several initiatives to promote sustainable growth. These include:
- Establishment of a Sewage Treatment Plant
- Continuous Ambient Air Quality Monitoring Station (CAAQMS)
- Comprehensive Solid Waste Management Facility
- Promoting the use of LEDs in the port area and township to minimise energy consumption
- Shore power supply
- Water body rejuvenation in JNPA near Sheva Temple and Sheva Foothill
- Oil Spill Response
- Increasing green cover in port area, including Mangroves Management
- Installation of solar panels of around 4.10 MWp.
About Jawaharlal Nehru Port
The Jawaharlal Nehru Port, situated in Navi Mumbai, can be accessed via Thane Creek – an inlet in the shoreline of the Arabian sea that isolates Mumbai from the Konkan region of mainland India. It is the second largest container port in the country after the Mundra Port. This port is the terminal of the Western Dedicated Freight Corridor.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|