Climate Change: Italy gets Green Super Ministry
The Prime Minister of Italy, Mario Draghi, has put the climate change at the centre of his plans to run Italy. He has created a super ministry to ensure a transition to green energy drives recovery in the country. The super ministry has been established with the objective of making full use of European Union funds with respect to the climate change.
- In the first move, the Prime Minister will redraft the Italy’s Recovery Plan.
- The recovery plan of the Italy has to be handed to the European Commission by April 2021 in order to get more than 200 billion euros ($240 billion) of funds.
- This amount is needed for the country to revive the recession-hit economy amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
- As per the European Union agreement, 37% of 200 billion euros must be diverted towards the transition to a low carbon economy.
About Mario Draghi
- Mario Draghi was a former European Central Bank chief. He formally sworn in as Italy’s new prime minister on February 13, 2021 amid the deadly coronavirus pandemic and crippling recession in the country.
- The Prime Minister has the support of the rainbow coalition starting from the leftists to Matteo Salvini’s far-right League.
Italian Government Crisis 2021
This political event began in January 2021 in Italy and ended in February 2021 after Mario Draghi sworn in as the Prime Minister. The Italian government crisis include the event of the announcement to revoke IV’s support to the government of Giuseppe Conte. This announcement was made by Matteo Renzi who is the leader of Italia Viva (IV) and the former Prime Minister of Italy.
Hung Parliament of 2018
The general election in 2018 produced a hung parliament in Italy. After several talks and negotiations, a coalition government was formed on June 1, 2019 between the centrist Five Star Movement (M5S) and right-wing League. However, this coalition ended after Giuseppe Conte’s resignation in August 2019. Again in September 2019, new government was formed with Giuseppe Conte as its head.
Category: International / World Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|