Central Industrial Security Force (CISF)
Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) is one of India’s Central Armed Police Forces.
- CISF was set up under an act of the Parliament of India in 1969 to provide security cover to certain sensitive public sector undertakings (PSU’s). It was made an armed force of India by another Act of Parliament passed in 1983. CISF functions under the Union Ministry of Home Affairs and its headquarters are at New Delhi.
- At present CISF is a premier multi-skilled organization that provides security cover to around 300 industrial units, government infrastructure projects and establishments located throughout India. CISF also has its own Fire Wing, which helps during fire accidents in Industries.
- CISF provides security cover to critical infrastructure facilities like nuclear stations, space installations, major ports, atomic power plants etc. CISF also protects important government buildings, iconic heritage monuments and the Delhi Metro. It also has a specialized VIP Security vertical.
- CISF also plays a major role in Disaster Management. Consultancy services are also provided to private industries by CISF regarding security and fire protection.
- A “hybrid” security model was proposed by Union Home Minister Amit Shah. According to this model private security agencies will be trained and certified by CISF. This enables private security organizations to efficiently guard various industrial units in India.
- Union Home Minister also asked CISF to collaborate with Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Border Security Force (BSF) to prepare an effective counter-technology against the menace of drone threats to industrial units along sea ports and the land border.
- He also asked CISF to prepare a 25-year road map so that it can emerge as a result-oriented force by the time India celebrates its 100th year of independence.
On March 6th 2022, Union Home Minister attended the 53rd Raising Day celebrations of the CISF in Ghaziabad.
Category: Defence Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|