Badminton: PV Sindhu wins Singapore Open title
On July 17, 2022 PV Sindhu acquired the first Super 500 title in her career, after defeating Asian champion Wang Zhi Yi from China.
- PV Sindhu secured the title, by defeating Wang Zhi Yi by 21-9, 11-21, 21-15 in the final of Singapore Open.
- The first two games were lop-sided, while the third game became a battle.
- This is Sindhu’s first 500 title, since she won the world championship in 2019.
- This is also the first 500 title or better final for year 2022.
- In year 2022, she has won two titles of Super 300, before this win. However, she has made to the semi-finals for 7 times and quarters for 10 times in 13 tournaments.
Singapore Open badminton event has been held every year, in Singapore starting from 1929. The tournament is categorized as one among the seven BWF World Tour Super 500 events by Badminton World Federation. In 2023, it is set to be upgraded to a Super 750 event. The tournament is organised by Singapore Badminton Association, which was created in 1929 to promote sport and organise competition. The tournament became an open invitation championship in 1960. In 2007, the tournament became a part of BWF Super Series event.
Singapore Badminton Association (SBA)
It is the national governing body for badminton. The body is an affiliate of Singapore National Olympic Council. It was created in 1929, to govern, encourage and develop sports across the Singapore. SBA is also member of Badminton World Federation (BWF) and Badminton Asia. As of now, it has 32 member clubs across the country.
Badminton World Federation (BWF)
BWF is the international body, created in 1934, to govern badminton. the International Olympic Committee (IOC). It was founded as an International Badminton Federation (IBF) comprising of 9 member nations viz., Canada, France, Ireland, Denmark, England, Scotland, Netherlands, New Zealand, and Wales.
Month: Current Affairs - July, 2022
Category: Sports Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|