Anti-ship version of BrahMos Test: Highlights
The Indian Navy test-fired the anti-ship version of the BrahMos supersonic cruise missile in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands territory. This comes amid the border tensions with China in eastern Ladakh. This successful test is a part of series of trials being carried out by the three services. BrahMos Aerospace is a joint venture of India and Russia aimed at producing lethal weapon that can be launched from submarines, ships, aircraft and land.
BrahMos is the world’s fastest cruise missile in operation. After India signed MTCR (Missile Technology Control Regime), Russia is planning to develop new generation BrahMos with India. The new missile will be of 800 kilometre plus range. India is currently increasing all of its missile ranges. This decision was taken in 2019.
MTCR is a multilateral export control regime. It was formed by the G7 countries in 1987. The MTCR aims to limit the risk of proliferation of weapons of mass destruction. India joined MTCR in 2016.
Recent missile launches
On October 23, 2020, the Indian Navy released a video showing the INS Prabal launching a missile. Similar tests were conducted by Indian Navy on October 30, 2020 as well. On October 30, 2020, the Indian Navy test fired an anti-ship missile from INS Kora in Bay of Bengal.
The other recently conducted missile test fires of India are as follows
- RUDRAM anti-radiation missile
- A new version of shaurya missile
- LASER guided anti-tank missile
- Brahmos missile with an indigenous booster
- Prithvi II missile
- Test fire of RUSTOM II
- TORPEDO SMART
- Flight test of ABHYAS
- Test fire of Hypersonic Technology Demonstrator Vehicle
- Flight Test of Naval Version of BRAHMOS
- Test fire of PRITHVI II
- Failed test of Nirbhay
- SANT Missile test
- Nag Missile
- Test Fire of Brahmos Supersonic Cruise Missile by the Indian Air Force
- First flight test of Quick Reaction Surface-to-Air-Missiles
- Second Flight Test of QRSAM Missile
- Brahmos Supersonic Cruise Missile Test
Category: Defence Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|