44th International Chess Olympiad to be inaugurated by PM
Prime Minister Narendra Modi is scheduled to inaugurate 44th International Chess Olympiad on July 28, 2022. The Olympiad will be inaugurated at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in Chennai. Inauguration event will start from 6PM.
Facts to know about 44th International Chess Olympiad:
- The 44th Chess Olympiad is scheduled to be conducted from July 28 to August 10, 2022.
- It will be conducted at Poonjeri Village in Mamallapuram district of Chennai.
- The International Chess Olympiad is scheduled to held in India, for the first time, after it moved out of Russia.
- It is attracting a huge number of entries. 188 entries have been registered under open section and 162 in Women section.
- Three teams will participate from India in the Open and Women’s section.
- Viswanathan Anand will mentor the players.
- India’s ‘A’ team (Open section) comprises of P Harikrishna, Arjun Erigaisi, LK Narayanan, Vidit Gujrathi and K Sasikiran.
- India’s ‘A’ team (Women’s section) comprise of Koneru Humpy, D Harika, Bhakti Kulkarni and R Vaishali.
- The event is organised by the Fédération Internationale des Échecs (FIDE).
The 44th chess Olympiad was originally scheduled to be organised at Khanty-Mansiysk, along with the Chess World Cup 2019. However, it later moved to Moscow for 5 to 17 August 2020. However, it was postponed due to COVID-19 pandemic. Finally, the event was relocated to Chennai, in the aftermath of Russian invasion of Ukraine. France’s International Arbiter Laurent Freyd will be the Chief Arbiter of the event.
Month: Current Affairs - July, 2022
Category: Sports Current Affairs
Topics: 44th Chess Olympiad • 44th International Chess Olympiad • Chennai Chess Olympiad 2022 • International Chess Olympiad • Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium chennai • Thambi- Official mascot of 44th Chess Olympiad • Viswanathan Anand
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|