Quiz 940: GK Questions for West Bengal PSC Judicial Service Preliminary Exams
This quiz has 10 General Knowledge / GK Questions for West Bengal PSC Judicial Service Preliminary Exams based on syllabus of GK of Competition examinations and previous years question papers.
1. Which among the following is a correct meaning of office of Qazi-ul-Quzat under the Mughals?
Correct Answer: C [Supreme Authority in Justice]
Chief judge of the empire Qazi-ul-Quzat was the supreme authority in justice. Since it was difficult for the emperor to do-away with justice in all the cases, he appointed Qazi-ul-Quzat to do the justice in accordance with Muslim Law. The Chief Judge of t
2. Chakan Gaan-Ngai, a post-harvest festival is celebrated in __:
Correct Answer: A [Manipur]
Celebration of the biggest post-harvest festival of the Zeliangrong community, Chakan Gaan-Ngai, also popularly known as Gaan-Ngai was kick-started in Manipur recently with different organizations celebrating the festival in their own manner with traditional gaiety and religious fervour. The State Level celebration of the festival was organized by State Level Gaan Ngai-2013 Committee at Langol Tarung village with Chief Minister O Ibobi Singh as Chief Guest.
3. Consider the following statements:
1. Dirty Dozens have been listed by the Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants as causing adverse effects on humans and the ecosystem
2. Endosulphan is one of the Dirty Dozens
Which among the above statements is / are correct
Correct Answer: A [Only 1]
Consider the following statements in context with the Disaster Management Act 2005:
- The act makes provisions for a National Disaster Management Authority at the Centre level and State Disaster Management Authority at the state level
- The President is the chairman of National Disaster Management Authority, while the Governor is the Chairman of State Disaster Management Authority
- The National Calamity Contingency Fund has ceased to exist after the National Disaster Response Fund has been created under this act.
Which among the above statement is are correct?
Correct Answer: C [Only 1 & 3 are correct]
Consider the following 6 rivers of Indus System:
As per the Indus Water Treaty, India has got rights for exclusive use of all of the waters of which of the above river and their tributaries before the point where the rivers enter Pakistan?
Correct Answer: B [Sutlej, Beas and Ravi]
Consider the following statements about Constituent Assembly of India:
- It was set up as a result of negotiations between the Indian Leaders and Cripps Mission
- Its members were directly elected
- It worked as India’s parliament till the first election were carried out
Which among the above statements is/ are correct?
Correct Answer: C [Only 3]
Constituent Assembly was set up as a result of negotiations between the leaders of Indian independence movement and members of the British Cabinet Mission. The constituent assembly was elected indirectly by the members of the Provincial legislative assembly, that existed under the British Raj. It first met on December 9, 1946 in Delhi. On August 15, 1947, India became an independent nation, and the Constituent Assembly also started functioning as India’s Parliament.
7. How can a moving coil galvanometer be converted into a ammeter?
Correct Answer: A [by introducing shunt resistance in parallel]
A moving coil galvanometer can be converted into a ammeter by introducing a shunt resistance rs of small value in parallel.
8. Who led the extremists before the arrival of Gandhiji on the political scene for freedom struggle?
Correct Answer: A [Bal Gangadhar Tilak]
Bal Gangadhar Tilak led the extremists before the arrival of Gandhiji on the political scene for freedom struggle.
• The extremists believed in agitation, strikes and boycotts to force their demands
• Some nationalists led by Lokmanya Tilak agitated against the moderate behaviour of congress against British rule
• The main purpose was to enable the identification of intervention points or “pinch points”, at which counter-measures can be introduced
• The goal of extremist leaders was to make Indians to be self-reliant and to develop self-respect
• They asked people to become fearless and strong to come out of their sad condition
As their demand was much more radical as compared to Moderates, they were called Extremists
9. Who among the following was the founder of Swaraj Party?
Correct Answer: A [Motilal Nehru]
In 1922, in the Gaya session of the Congress, C R Das moved a proposal to enter the legislatures but it was defeated. Das and other leaders broke away from the Congress and formed the Swaraj Party.C R Das was the President and the Secretary was Motilal Nehru. Prominent leaders of the Swaraj Party included N C Kelkar, Huseyn Shaheed Suhrawardy and Subhas Chandra Bose. The following were the aims of Swaraj Party:
• Attaining dominion status
• Obtaining the right to frame a constitution
• Establishing control over the bureaucracy
• Obtaining full provincial autonomy
• Attaining Swarajya (self-rule)
• Getting people the right to control government machinery
• Organising industrial and agricultural labour
• Controlling the local and municipal bodies
• Having an agency for propaganda outside the country
• Establishing a federation of Asian countries to promote trade and commerce
• Engaging in the constructive programmes of the Congress
10. Age of a tree can be determined by which of the following methods?
Correct Answer: A [By counting the number of rings]
Each year, trees add on extra layer to their trunks. Each ring corresponds to roughly one year. We can obtain the age by literally counting the number of rings in the trunk.