Quiz 618: Current General Studies for Civil Services Examination
1. What is Kerogen oil?
Correct Answer: A [Its an unconventional oil produced from the pyrolysis, hydrogenation, or thermal dissolution of Oil Shales]
2. In 2011, ONGC discovered India’s first shale gas reserve in which among the following states?
Correct Answer: C [West Bengal]
In January 2011,India’s biggest energy explorer Oil & Natural Gas Corporation ONGC has discovered the country’s first shale gas reserve at Durgapur in Burdwan district of West Bengal. The gas reserve spread over 12,000 square km in the Durgapur-Ranigunj area – is the world’s third shale gas find
Consider the following statements about IMF:
- All members of International Monetary Fund are also members of International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD)
- IMF lends only to member countries
Which among the above statements is/ are correct ?
Correct Answer: C [Both 1 & 2 are correct]
Consider the following:
Kurdistan is considered to be a part of which among the above?
Correct Answer: B [1, 2, 3 & 4]
The Kurds live mainly in Turkey, Iran and Iraq and probably number about 25-35 million worldwide. They are the most important ethnic group without a state of their own. They are mostly Sunni Muslims and have their own languages. About 15 million Kurds live in Turkey, 6 million in Iran, 5 million in Iraq and up to 1.5 million in Syria. Fewer Kurds live in former Soviet republics and in Lebanon. Kurdistan is a roughly defined geo-cultural region comprising parts of eastern Turkey (Turkish Kurdistan), northern Iraq (Iraqi Kurdistan), north-western Iran (Iranian Kurdistan) and northern Syria inhabited mainly by Kurds. Out of them, only Iraqi Kurdistan province is autonomous. Some Kurdish organizations seek to create an independent nation state of Kurdistan, consisting of some or all of the areas with Kurdish majority, while others campaign for greater Kurdish autonomy within the existing national boundaries.
Which of the following are the functions of Traditional Knowledge Digital Library (TKDL) set up by Government of India?
- Granting patents
- Prevention of Wrong patents
- Providing a diagnostic or usage database for Vaidyas, Hakims and practitioners of Traditional medicines in India
Select the correct option from the codes given below:
Correct Answer: B [Only 2]
TKDL does not grant patents. It also does not provide the diagnostic or usage database for Vaidyas, Hakims and practitioners of Traditional medicines in India.
Consider the following statements about India’s Unmanned Aerial Vehicle RUSTOM-1:
- It is indigenously designed
- It can attain a maximum speed of 150 Knots
- It has been classified as Medium Altitude Long Endurance Unmanned Aerial Vehicle
Which among the above statements is/ are correct?
Correct Answer: D [1, 2 & 3]
In context with the International Financial Institutions, Structural adjustments are the policies implemented by the ___:
- World Bank
- International Monetary Fund
Choose the correct option:
Correct Answer: C [Both 1 & 2]
Structural adjustments are the policies implemented by the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and the World Bank (the Bretton Woods Institutions) in developing countries.
8. The relationship between water fern Azolla and cyanobacterium Anabaena is :
Correct Answer: A [Symbiotic]
9. Which one of the following is a useful biological indicator of Sulphur-dioxide pollution ?
Correct Answer: D [Lichens]
10. In Nitrogen Cycle, soil nitrates are transformed into free nitrogen by:
Correct Answer: B [Denitrifying bacteria]