Quick Current Affairs National
1. India and Kazakhstan on jaunary 24, 2009 signed a major agreement for supply of Uranium.
2. Afganistan Presidnet Hamid Karzai Vissited India in January 2009. Main projects being completed by India are Derlam Zarang Highway and Pul-e-khumri Kabul Transmission Line.
3. Chief Election Commissioner N. Gopalaswami has suo motu sent a recommendation to the President that Election Commissioner Navin Chawla should be removed from office on the alleged ground of ‘partisanship under Article 324(5) of the Constitution.
4. Main arab political parties in Israel namely Israel-Balad and United Arab List-Ta’al were banned in January 2009 .
5. Russia and Cuba sealed a strategic partnership pact designed to revive the Soviet-era close alliance between the two countries.
6. The meeting of world economic Forum was held in Davos Switzerland in the last week of January 2009.
7. The meeting of World Social Forum was held in Belem, Brazil in the last week of January 2009.
8. Union Cabinet on January 9, 2009 cleared a 12,513 crore project to improve road connectivity in Arunanchal Pradesh.
9. Delhi Government on January 14, 2009 notified a blanket ban on plastic bags use.
10. Himachal Pradesh is eyeing the tag of country’s first carbon-free state and the world’s second.
11. School students in Himachal Pradesh will soon be practicing complex ‘asanas’ as the State Government is all set to introduce yoga in the school syllabus from the next academic session.
12. The Karnataka government has signed memoranda of understanding (MoUs) with public sector energy major National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) and power equipment major Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) to set up new thermal and wind energy projects in the state with a cumulative capacity of 6,900 Mw in the next four years at a cost of around 35000 crores.
13. Radha Vinod Raju has been appointed as the Director of newly-constituted National Investigation Agency. Vinod Raju is an 1975 officer of JK cadre and was posted as the Special DGP of Jammu & Kashmir.
14. Pradeep Kumar Kapur, Joint Secretary in the Minister of External Affairs and currently posted at the Foreign Service Institute, has been posted as Ambassador of India to Chile.
15. M.N. Prasad has been appointed as the new secretary in the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO). The 1972 Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer from the Bihar cadre replaced Pulok Chaterji as the secretary in PMO. Prior to his appointment in PMO, Prasad served as the secretary in the Ministry of Minority Affairs. The out going PMO secretary Pulok Chaterji will move to World Bank as Executive Director.