Water Treatment measure introduced in Tokyo
Tokyo which is hosting summer Olympics in 2020 has introduced water treatment measure to better deal with natural calamities like typhoons or squalls to keep the city safe.
Preventing the Calamities
- The Tokyo Metropolitan Government has developed infrastructure such as levee protection, a pond to control the water level, tide embankment, watergate and so on.
- Disaster prevention general information system has been developed to realise appropriate evacuation by providing flood and rain information.
- As the water level reaches the dangerous mark, the information will be automatically dispatched to the water disaster prevention room.
- The water disaster prevention general information system will provide data both to the citizens and foreign tourists in various foreign languages. People can also check the real-time image of the river and water-level using the location of PCs and smartphones.
- The government will monitor and analyse data of rain gauge, water gauge, and dispatches appropriate information to the citizens.
- Cameras are set at 47 points of the river and the situation of the river is observed around the clock.
Japan which lies in the Ring of Fire is highly susceptible to natural disasters. Hence there is a greater focus on disaster prevention technologies in the Japanese metropolis as the city gears up to host the 2020 Olympics.