Sub-sonic Cruise Missile Nirbhay Successfully Tested
Nirbhay the first indigenously designed and developed long-range sub-sonic cruise missile from a test-fired on 15th of April. This missile is capable of loitering and cruising at 0.7 Mach at altitude as low as 100 meter covered the designated target range in 42 minutes and 23 seconds.
- It is India’s first indigenously designed and developed Long Range Sub-Sonic Cruise Missile which can be deployed from multiple platforms.
- Nirbhay is an all-weather low-cost long-range cruise missile with stealth and high accuracy. The missile has a range of more than 1000 km.
- Its relatively slow flight speed allows it to navigate its way precisely to the target.
- The Nirbhay cruise missile is an Indian version of the American Tomahawk.
- It can carry conventional and nuclear war heads.
This missile was developed by the DRDO at its aeronautics R&D laboratory ADE (Aeronautical Development Establishment) based in Bangalore.
Topics: Aeronautical Development Establishment , Cruise missile , Defence Research and Development Organisation , Guided missiles , Guided missiles of India , Kh-55 , Ministry of Defence , Missile , Missiles , Nirbhay , Tomahawk , Weapons