News Today: December 2, 2011
Jeevesh Nandan, new CEO of Noida
- Uttar Pradesh government posted Jeevesh Nandan as new Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Noida. Mr Nandan took charge from Mohinder Singh. Mr Mohinder Singh, however, will remain chairman of Noida, Export Corporation, Yamuna Expressway and investment comissioner.
Congress moves ‘no-confidence motion’ against Speaker
- The Opposition Congress moved a no-confidence motion against Karnataka Assembly Speaker K G Bopaiah accusing him of taking a pro-government stance in delaying accepting of BJP rebel B Sriramulu s resignation from the House.
‘Another planet’ wins Golden Lamp Tree award
- Another Planet, directed by Ms Smita Bhide, won the Golden Lamp Tree Award, including a cash prize of Rs four Lakh under the International Competition Section, at the closing ceremony of the Short Film Center at the 42nd International Film Festival in Goa.
Court martial of army’s former military secretary Lt. Gen. (retd) Avadesh Prakash
- The Indian Army completed the court martial of former military secretary, Lt. Gen. (retd) Avadesh Prakash in connection with an alleged scam involving transfer of 71 acres of land adjacent to Sukna military station in West Bengal.
Dalai Lama conferred with Dayawati Modi award
- Tibetan spiritual leader Dalai Lama conferred with the Dayawati Modi Award for Art, Culture and Education for the year 2011. Mr Mark Shand, founder of Elephant Family, presented the award to the Dalai Lama comprising Rs 2.51 lakh in cash, a silver shield and a scroll of honour.
Thai PM to be chief guest on India’s Republic Day
- Building on the upward swing in New Delhi’s Look East policy, India will host Thailand’s first woman and youngest Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra as the guest of honour at the Republic Day parade Jan 26, 2012.
Free Pakistani prisoners: Apex court
- Holding that liberty of a person should be taken seriously, the Supreme Court directed the central government to immediately release Pakistani prisoners languishing in Indian jails without justification.