Important Social Institutions Issues
- While caste in politics has done a lot of damage, caste in economics can be a vehicle for India’s development. Explain.
- Recent reports and National Family health Surveys have signaled a monumental shift in Indian demographics. Highlighting this shift, Discuss the challenges that it will pose. Also, suggest remedial measures.
- The idea that public intent data can play a transformative role in the public sector has its own set of challenges. Discuss.
- Discuss how the structure of caste system in India has undergone a paradoxical change over last few decades.
- The National Commission for Scheduled Castes has played an important role in tackling the issues faced by scheduled castes in India, but there is a need to strengthen it for the betterment of Scheduled Castes. Elaborate.
- The merit-based actions against some civil society groups are necessary but some opine it as curb on dissent. Analyze.
- India’s per capita GDP has grown five times in last two decades, however the income distribution is highly uneven. In this context, discuss the issue of rising inequality in India.
- Though the situation of women has improved considerably in present India, still various forms of violence against India is still persisting. Discuss the ways to handle this issue effectively.
- The caste system in India has went through many changes and is still persisting by adapting itself to changing socio-economic and political conditions. Comment.
- The 103rd constitutional amendment act has been hailed as an important step towards meeting the objectives of social justice in India. Critically examine its relevance.
- Both Caste and Race are manifestations of a closed system of stratification, but there are important differences between the two. Explain.
- There are many problems that have continued to exist in India even after 75 years of independence. However, history has testified India's resilience and it has grown stronger as a nation. Comment.
- Keeping in view the poor performance of India in the World Press Freedom Index (WPFI), elucidate the importance of media for a democracy. Also, identify the issues affecting media in contemporary times and suggest measures to address them.
- The reasons behind violation of sexual and reproductive rights of women are often deeply engrained in societal values and traditions. Comment.
- Despite increasing urbanisation in India, the caste-based discrimination has not been annihilated rather it has manifested in different ways. Discuss with examples.
- Discuss how the taboos and myths surrounding menstruation in India have been detrimental for women in many aspects of socio-cultural life. Suggest measures to combat them.
- While on one hand the Indian society is mimicking the west, on the other there are attempts to revive the conservative traditional outlook. Comment.
- Self Help Groups (SHGs) plays an important role in upliftment of disadvantaged sections of society by developing rural areas. Elucidate. Further, mention the constraint faced by SHGs and how they can be addressed.
- Delineate the relationship between social mobility and equality. Highlight the impediments in ensuring it.
- The idea of population control legislation in India has become irrelevant in the light of demographic changes highlighted by the NFHS-5. Critically examine.
- The menace of child marriage still persists in India despite various initiatives taken by the government. Examine the reasons and its impact. Also, suggest remedial measures.
- India has come a long way in ensuring women’s rights to property and inheritance, however there is still much more that needs to be done. Discuss.
- Discuss the pros and cons of giving SC status to Dalit Muslims and Dalit Christians.
- Examine the issues related to child sexual abuse in India. What initiatives India has taken to tackle the issue?
- In the light of the recent Supreme Court order against hate speech, discuss the challenges in fighting hate speech while preserving freedom of speech. What needs to be done?
- Why is the Global Hunger Index (GHI) being criticized? What can be done to address this issue?
- What is the two finger test criticized by the Supreme Court recently? How far would the apex court directive go towards eliminating this practice?
- Critically examine the rationale behind the recent order from the Punjab government to ban songs that glorify weapons and violence.
This is a dynamic E-Book comprising the below UPSC Mains Model Questions as well as their answers written by GKToday team. The PDF E-Book can be instantly downloaded after payment. No Hadcopy is provided.
Disclaimer: These questions have been written and answered by GKToday team over the period of time; and have included some previous years questions also. While every effort was made to ensure that these questions as well as their answers remain relevent and correct, it is possible, that some facts or context in some questions might have changed over time. GKToday does not assume and hereby disclaims any liability to any party for any loss, damage, or disruption caused by such change of facts or context in the questions and answers of this E-book.