Which state has maximum Number of districts in India?
Uttar Pradesh has the largest number of districts in India. Uttar Pradesh has 71 Districts followed by Madhya Pradesh – 50, Bihar-38 Maharashtra – 35 & Rajasthan-33 districts. Here please note that :
- Kanshi Ram Nagar is 71st district of Uttar Pradesh which consists of Kasganj, Patiali and Sahawar tehsils, seperated from Etah and established in 15 april 2008.
- Andaman and Nicobar Islands has 3 districts, Goa has 2 , Daman & Diu has 2 districts. Chandigarh, Dadra and Nagar Haveli, Lakshadweep have 1 district each.
- Earlier the largest district of India was Midnapore and it was bifurcated in 2002.
- Katch in Gujarat is the largest district in terms of area (45,652 sq. kms). Bhuj is not a district, Bhuj is district headquarter of Katch.
- Ladakh, a part of Jammu & Kashmir State in north of India consisting of two districts Leh and Kargil.
- Leh with an area of 45110 Sq Km makes it second largest district in the country in terms of area.