Which International Organisation was set up as World’s Atoms for Peace Organisation in 1957?

“Atoms for Peace” was the title of a speech delivered by U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower to the UN General Assembly in New York City on December 8, 1953. The United States then launched an “Atoms for Peace” program that supplied equipment and information to schools, hospitals, and research institutions within the U.S. and throughout the world. The first nuclear reactors in Iran and Pakistan were built under the program by American Machine and Foundry.

U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower had proposed the creation of an international body to control and promote the peaceful use of atomic energy in this speech. In 1954 the United States proposed to the United Nations General Assembly the creation of an international agency to take control of the fissile material being used to create nuclear reactors, establishing a kind of nuclear bank.

IAEA was established as an autonomous organization on 29 July 1957. IAEA has its headquarters in Vienna, Austria and two “Regional Safeguards Offices” are located in Toronto, Canada; and Tokyo, Japan.

Advertisement

Comments