Typhoon “Parma “& More
A powerful typhoon ” Parma” pummelled the north-eastern Philippines recently , cutting off power and communication in at least five provinces and killing dozens of people and affecting lives of millions of people.
What is a Typhoon?
- Typhoon in Chinese means Big winds.
- Pacific typhoon or tropical storm is a tropical cyclone that forms in the northwestern Pacific Ocean.
- Storms from the Eastern and Central Pacific crossing the International date line are re-designated as typhoons; prior to entering the basin they are respectively called “hurricanes” and “severe tropical cyclones
- Typhoon seasons include the entirety of the calendar year.
- Most storms tend to form between May and November, although they can occur at other times of the year as well.
Some famous Historical typhoons:
- Kamikaze: The Kamikaze were a pair or series of typhoons that are said to have saved Japan from two Mongol fleets under Kublai Khan that attacked Japan in 1274 and again in 1281. The Attack of 1281 is said to have been the largest attempted naval invasion in history whose scale was only recently eclipsed in modern times by the D-Day invasion of allied forces into Normandy in 1944.
- Swatow: The 1922 Swatow Typhoon was a devastating tropical cyclone that caused thousands of deaths in the Chinese city of Swatow (now Shantou) in August 1922.
- Cobra : Typhoon Cobra, also known as the Typhoon of 1944 or Halsey’s Typhoon was the United States Navy designation for a tropical cyclone which struck the United States Pacific Fleet in December 1944 during World War II.
- Koppu: Another Typhoon Koppu struck China Recently.