Telegraph begins in India 1854
The first director general of telegraphs in India was William Brooke O’Shaughnessy.
Lord Dalhousie had authorized him to construct an experimental line and in 1852 he was appointed director general of telegraphs and authorized to construct an extensive system.
The 800-mile line from Calcutta to Agra was opened in March, 1854, and two years later 4000 miles were in operation, including lines to Bombay and Madras.
It was “telegraph” the saved India in mutiny of 1857.
Telegraph communication between India and England was opened in 1865 by the Persian Gulf line.