Social media is defined by a number of tools, which includes blogs, Wikis, discussion forums, micro blogs (Twitter etc.) and social networking sites (Facebook).
- Blogs: can be used to tell the public or stakeholder groups about agency activities and gives readers the opportunity to provide comments.
- Wikis: examples include Wikipedia and the open source pages. They are best for collaborative document authoring.
- Discussion forums: a forum may be appropriate when smaller, more in-depth consultation is required.
- Micro blogs: the most well-known is Twitter; best for short public announcements and drawing attention to new information on agency websites.
- Social Networking sites: Facebook, etc. These sites may be useful in raising public awareness of government services or initiatives and engaging with relevant pre-existing online communities.