PSU’s under Ministry of Steel Government of India
Ministry of steel is an independent Ministry of Government of India. Ministry of Steel is under the overall charge of the Minister of Steel, assisted by the Minister of State for Steel. The Minister is assisted by a team of secretaries. The major functions are
- Co-ordination and planning of the growth and development of Iron and Steel Industry in the country (including Re-rolling Mills, Alloy Steel and Ferro Alloy Industries, Refractories) both in the Public and Private Sectors;
- Formulation of policies in respect of production, pricing, distribution, import and export of iron & steel, ferro alloys and refractories; and
- Development of input industries relating to iron ore, manganese ore, chrome ore and Refractories etc. , required mainly by the steel industry.
Current Steel Minister is Beni Prasad Verma.
PSU’s Under Ministry of Steel:
Following 11 Public Sector Undertakings are under the Ministry of Steel, Government of India.
- Steel Authority of India Ltd (SAIL) : New Delhi
- Rashtriya Ispat Nigam Ltd(RINL) : Vishakhapatnam
- NMDC Ltd. : Hyderabad
- Kudremukh Iron Ore Company Ltd (KIOCL) : Bangalore
- MECON Ltd. : Ranchi
- Manganese Ore (India) Ltd (MOIL) : Nagpur
- MSTC Limited : Kolkata
- Hindustan Steel Works Construction Ltd (HSCL) : Kolkata
- Sponge Iron India Ltd (SIIL) : Hyderabad
- Bharat Refractories Ltd (BRL): Bokaro Steel City
- Ferro Scrap Nigam Ltd.(FSNL) : Bhilai
Apart from that the Bird Group of Companies is also a conglomerate under the full control of this Ministry. The Bird Group of Companies has the following companies:
- Orissa Minerals Development Co. Ltd. (OMDC)
- Bisra Stone Lime Co. Ltd. (BSLC)
- Karanpura Development Company Ltd. (KDCL)
- Scott & Saxby Ltd. (SSL)
- Eastern Investment Ltd. (EIL)
Out of the above all except the EIL, are operating companies under the Bird Group. EIL, being an investment company is having a major stake in the equity shares of operating companies under the Bird Group.
Net worth of major Companies under Ministry of Steel:
The following graphic shows the Net worth of the major companies under ministry of steel: