Pradhan Mantri Kisan Sampada Yojana
32 projects have been approved under the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Sampada Yojana in the food processing sector during the inter-ministerial approval committee meeting.
- Purpose of the Scheme:
The Pradhan Mantri Kisan Sampada Yojana is a scheme being implemented by the union ministry of food processing industries. It was launched in 2016 and is to extend till 2020. It is aimed at improving the food processing sector of India. It is also aimed at reducing food wastage, improving food quality and doubling farmers’ income.
- Components of the Scheme:
The scheme has 7 components:
- Mega Food Parks
- Integrated Cold Chain and Value Addition Infrastructure
- Infrastructure for Agro-Processing Clusters
- Creation of Backward and Forward Linkages
- Creation/Expansion of Food Processing and Preservation Capacities
- Food Safety and Quality Assurance Infrastructure
- Human Resources and Institutions
- Significance of the 32 Projects:
The recently approved projects are spread across 17 states and are expected to provide direct and indirect employment to 15,000 people. Funds worth about 406 crore INR have been set aside for these projects. The projects are focused on increasing processing and preservation capacities and improvement (expansion and modernisation) of existing infrastructure.