NMDC was incorporated in 1958 as a Government of India fully owned public enterprise. NMDC is under the administrative control of the Ministry of Steel, Government of India. It has three fully mechanized mines viz.
- Bailadila Deposit 14/11C
- Bailadila Deposit -5, 10/11A – Both in Chhattisgarh
- Donimalai Iron Ore Mines – Karnataka
- Apart from the above please note that NMDC is the only organised producer of diamond in India from its Majhgawan mine at Panna, Madhya Pradesh.
It is a Navratna Company engaged in the business of developing and exploiting mineral resources of the country (other than coal, oil, natural gas and atomic minerals). Presently its activities are concentrated on mining of iron ore and diamonds
CMD: Rana Som
- NMDC produced 17.07 MMT of Iron Ore during 2009-10 (up to December 2009) compared to 28.15 MMT in the previous full year 2008-09.
- Domestic sales of Iron Ore of 14.62 MMT, during 2009-10 (up to December 2009) as against 22.60 MMT during the previous full year 2008-09.
- The company exported 2.61 MMT of Iron Ore to Japan, South Korea and China valued at approximately Rs. 805 crore during current year (unto December 2009) compared to 3.87 MMT valued at Rs. 1703 crore during the previous full year.
- Total Sales during the year was 17.23 MMT (up to December 2009) as against 26.47 MMT during previous full year.