National Programme for Youth and Adolescent Development
The National Programme for Youth Adolescent Development (NPYAD) is a programme under the Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports, formulated by merging four 100% central sector grants-in-aid schemes of the Ministry with a view to reduce multiplicity of schemes with similar objectives, ensuring uniformity in funding pattern and implementation mechanism.
Objectives of the programme
- Develop leadership qualities and personality development of youth and to channelize their energy towards socio-economic development and growth of the nation;
- Holistic development of youth including adolescents for realisation of their fullest potential;
- Foster the spirit of adventure, risk taking, teamwork
- Develop amongst youth a sense of pride in nationally accepted values like democracy, socialism, and secularism;
- Promote spirit of national integration, unity in diversity, pride in Indianness, a sense of social harmony amongst the youth;
- To motivate the youth to act as focal point for dissemination of knowledge in the rural area and involve them in nation building process;
- Acknowledge adolescents as a distinct sub-group among youth and address their distinct needs and at the same time provide positive stimulation and congenial environment for their all-round development;
Definition of youth and adolescent
- Youth would cover persons belonging to the age group of 13 to 35 years
- Adolescent would cover persons in the age group of 10-19 years
- Members of the youth clubs affiliated to the Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan, National Service Scheme, State Government Youth Organisations, Bharat Scouts & Guides or student youth in Schools, Colleges and Universities.