GK Question- 80
Consider the following statements about Banyan Tree:
1. It’s a member of mulberry family
2. It begins its life as epiphyte
3. It respires through its aerial roots
Which among the above statements is / are correct?
[A]1 & 2
[B]2 & 3
[C]1, 2 & 3
[D]1 & 3
Explanation: Banyan Tree is India’s National Tree. Here we judge the statements.
1. It’s a member of mulberry family This is a correct statement. The mulberry family is known as Moraceae and this plant grows in India , Bangladesh and some other countries.
2. It begins its life as epiphyte This is a correct statement. The banyan Tree begins its life as epiphyte on a host tree, gathers nourishment and water from air (not the host). Despite being an epiphyte , the Ficus is an example of a strangler fig. Its roots grow down and around the stem of the host, their growth accelerating once the ground has been reached. neck after time, the roots coalesce to form a pseudo trunk, eventually strangling and killing the host. Kindly note this.
3. It respires through its aerial roots This is an incorrect statement. Such aerial roots which help in respiration also are called Pneumatphores and are found in Mangroves.