Indian Archers : Youth World Champion Deepika Kumari & Others
She is just 15 years old. A daughter of an Autorickshaw driver, Deepika has won 11th youth World archery Championship in Ogden, the United States recently. She has become the second Indian archer to win a Youth World Championship title.Trained at the Tata Archery academy at Ranchi, Deepika is also the current senior National and sub-junior National champion.
Other Famous Archers of India:
Limba Ram :
Limba Ram is the most well known archer of India. He represented India in three Olympics. At Barcelona Olympics he missed the medal by one point in the 70-meter segment. He helped India finish fourth in Beijing Asian Games in 1990.
The Government of India honoured him with Arjuna award in 1991.
World record and gold medal in the 1992 Beijing Asian Championship
Arjuna Award in 1991
- Dola Banerjee became world champion in archery by winning the gold medal in the women’s individual recurve competition at the archery world cup held at Dubai, in November 2007.
- Represented India at the 2004 Summer Olympics.
- She bagged the individual recurve title of the fourth leg of the Meteksan World Cup archery at Dover (England) in August 2007.
- Dola Banerjee is the first woman archer to be honored with the Arjuna award by the Government of India in 2005.
- Represented India in the women’s individual as well as team events at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, but failed to reach the finals in both events.
Other Archers of India :
Mangal Singh Champia
Shyam Lal Meena