Drafting Committee and Draft Constitution of India
The drafting committee was entrusted with the responsibility to prepare the Draft constitution.
- Drafting committee was set up on 29 August 1947 under the chairmanship of Dr. B R Ambedkar.
- The constituent assembly took 2 years , 11 months and 17 days to frame the constitution.
- It spent 6.4 crore Rupees in the preparation.
- There were 22 parts, 395 articles and 8 schedules.
- The constitution had got ready on 26th November 1949 and some provisions relating to Citizenship, Elections, provisional parliament, temporary & transitional provisions were given immediate effect.
- Rest of the constitution came into force on 26 January 1950.
- 26 January 1929 marked the “Poorna Swarajya “resolution of Indian National Congress under Jawahar lal Nehru and so the date was chosen in 1950 to be our republic day.
Our constitution is unique. It is unique in many ways. We know that our constitution was framed by the constituent assembly in a long time of 2 years, 11 months and 18 days. It must be noted that the idea of the constituent assembly was not of congress. The idea was put forward by MN Roy in 1934.
- MN Roy or Manabendra Nath Roy was a Bengali Indian revolutionary, internationally known political theorist and activist. He is the pioneer of communist movement in India.
The idea put forward by MN Roy was officially raised by Congress in 1935 and the British Government accepted this demand. This demand of constituent assembly was accepted in the August offer of 1940.