Central pool procured food grains by the Central Government with the Food Corporation of India.
- The procurement of food grains by the FCI is higher in the states of Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and Andhra Pradesh.
- These 4 states have accounted for nearly 69.7% of the rice procured for central pool in 2006-07, 69.46% in 2007-08 and 67.47% in 2008-09.
- So these 4 states viz. of Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and Andhra Pradesh account for two third of the procurement of the rice in the central pool.
- In the central pool, Punjab and Haryana accounted for 91.1% in 2007-08, 66.88% in 2008 and 69.53 % in 2008-09.
- So these two states Punjab and Haryana account for more than two third in the central pool wheat. In 2007-08 there was a record harvest so the procurement from these states was 91.1%.