GK & Current Affairs: March 1, 2, 2014
1. Government has increased the number of workdays from 100 days to 150 days under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Programme (MGNREGA) for __:
[A]SC and ST
[B]Tribals with Forest Rights
[C]Below Poverty Rural Households
[D]All who are enrolled in the scheme
Tribals with Forest Rights
The government raised the workdays under its flagship Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Programme (MGNREGA) from 100 to 150 for tribal’s, a move that will benefit 14 lakh families. Those tribals who have received land rights under the Forest Rights Act, 2006, will be eligible for additional 50 days of wage employment under the scheme.
2. The government has recently approved the National Mission for Sustaining the Himalayan Ecosystem (NMSHE) to sustain the Himalayan ecosystem, continuously assess its health status. The NMSHE covers how many states of India?
The union cabinet approved the mission document on the National Mission for Sustaining the Himalayan Ecosystem (NMSHE). The mission is launched under the National Action Plan on Climate Change (NAPCC) with an outlay of Rs.550 crore during the 12th Plan. Its primary objective is to develop a sustainable national capacity in a time bound manner to continuously asses the health status of the Himalayan ecosystem and enable policy formulation to assist Himalayan states to implement sustainable development programmes. The mission covers 12 Himalayan states of Jammu
and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarkhand, Sikkim, Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland, Manipur, Mizoram, Tripura, Meghalaya, Assam and West Bengal.
3. Which among the following movies has bagged the best picture award at the 86th Oscar Awards 2014?
[A]12 Years A Slave
12 Years A Slave
Steve McQueen’s historical drama “12 Years A Slave” won best picture award at the 86th annual Academy Awards. The film has portrayed America’s slave in past. It marks the first time a film directed by a black filmmaker has won best picture.
4. The duration of President’s rule in a State in the first instance is ____?
5. The “Basij Militia” is a volunteer militia force operating in which of the following countries?
The Basij Militia is an Iranian volunteer force of Islamic government loyalists which is often called out onto the street at times of crisis to dispel dissent. The force was originally set up by Ayatollah Khomeini in 1979 as a resistance force during the Iran-Iraq war.
6. Where is the headquarters of the “Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE)” located?
[B]New York, USA
The Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) is the world’s largest security-oriented intergovernmental organisation. It has its headquarters in Vienna, Austria.
7. Currently, India is the world’s largest producer of which of the following fruits?
Chose the correct answer from the codes given below:
[A]Only 1 & 2
[B]Only 2 & 3
[C]Only 1 & 4
[D]1, 2, 3 & 4
1, 2, 3 & 4
India is now the world’s largest producer of Mango, Banana, Papaya, Pomegranate and Sapota.
8. Which of the following committee has been formed to study demand for Bodoland state?
[A]G K Pillai Committee
[B]M S Gill Committee
[C]Rakesh Sharma Committee
[D]Navin Goyal Committee
G K Pillai Committee
Ministry of Home Affairs set up a committee headed by former home secretary GK Pillai to look into the demands of a separate Bodoland state to be carved out of Assam. The panel will submit its report in nine months.
9. India’s first private bank to commence operation in China is __:
Axis Bank is the first Indian private sector bank to set up a branch in China.
10. C R Simha who passed away recently was a renowned theatre and film personality in which language?
C R Simha was a renowned theatre and film personality in Kannada. Simha was also an avid writer and documented his experiences in films and theatre in Nimma Simha. He essayed the character of Tughlaq in a play written by Girish Karnad for nearly 30 years.