WHO launches COVID-19 Technology Access Pool (C-TAP)
The Costa Rica and World Health Organization have launched C-TAP. C-TAP is COVID-19 Technology Access Pool.
The C-TAP will act as an one-stop shop for information, scientific knowledge and intellectual property for global community. Around 30 countries, institutions and international partners have signed to support C-TAP. It is an initiative that aims to make vaccines, tests, health technologies and treatments.
The initiative was proposed by President of Costa Rica Mr Carlos Alvarado. The initiative will help to hasten the discovery of medicines, vaccines and other technologies that will help cure COVID-19.
Five Key Elements of the Pool
The five main elements of the pool include
- public disclosure of gene sequences and data
- governments and other funders that are encouraged to fund agreements with pharmaceutical companies
- licensing potential vaccine
- diagnostic treatment and other health technologies
- promote innovative models.
Month: Current Affairs - June, 2020
Category: International Current Affairs