What is Project Loon?
Project Loon, a subsidiary of Google recently announced that its balloons have successfully stayed in the stratosphere for almost a year. The balloons are helium filled and cover a distance of 2.1 lakh kilo metres. Project Loon aims to provide internet connectivity to the remote parts of the world. Recently, Loon has created a new record for the longest stratospheric flight by staying in air for 312 days. Last year, the company announced that its balloons reached over one million hours of stratospheric flight.
About Project Loon
Project Loon aims to tap the Earth’s stratosphere to provide internet connectivity to the remote parts of the world. The project involves helium-filled balloons that remain in the stratosphere and create aerial wireless networks. The project has collaborated with several countries and their technology partners to provide internet connectivity.
At present, the internet connectivity system consists of only two basic methods, to deliver a connection, namely Signal from Space and Signal from Ground. Lately, the Project Loon balloons are also used as weather monitors.
- The balloons are 15 metres wide and 12 metres tall. They are launched at an altitude of 20 km above the earth, that is above the zone where the airplanes fly. These balloons act as cell towers receiving and transmitting signals. The balloons are powered by solar panels.
- The path of the balloons is controlled by changing its altitude. They use the wind speed and direction to move up or down. The altitude is changed by pumping or releasing air. When one station moves off to a pre-determined position, the next balloon moves in.
- The users need special antenna to receive and transmit signals from and to the balloon.
- The inflatable part of the balloon is called “Balloon Envelope”.
- The panels in the balloon produce 100 watts of power when completely exposed to the sun.
Global Task Force on Pandemic Response
The Global Task Force on Pandemic recently announced that it is closely working with US-India Strate...
What is Significant Economic Presence (SEP) principle?
India recently notified Digital Tax threshold of two crore rupees and 300,00 users under the Signifi...
SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket launched 60 Starlink satellites
The SpaceX recently launched sixty Starlink Internet Satellites. The satellites were carried by Falc...
WHO to provide 4,000 oxygen concentrators to India
The World Health Organisation recently announced that it will provide 4,000 Oxygen Concentrators to ...
Google, Microsoft announce funding to help India tackle COVID-19
Google and Microsoft have recently pledged to help India fight COVID-19. Google is to provide 18 mil...
Category: Science & Technology Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|