What is Learning Management System launched in Karnataka?
The Learning Management System (LMS) was launched by the Karnataka government in digital mode, will be implemented in government colleges within the state. This digital platform will have multilingual e-content in the form of PPTs, videos, quizzes, assignment and e-study materials developed as per the University syllabus. It is said to be the first of its kind initiative in the country aimed at encouraging digital learning and improving the Gross Enrolment Ration in higher education.
- The Learning Management System is to benefit 4.5 lac students and 24000 teachers making impact on their teaching and learning respectively.
- The Learning management system is to be implemented at a cost of 30 4.1 4 crores of Rupees.
- The system is to be established in two ways such as establishing 2500 ICT enabled classes and learning management system based digital learning.
- Karnataka learning management system is to cover 430 government first grade colleges, 14 Government Engineering Colleges and 87 Government Polytechnic. This system is expected to improve the gross enrollment ratio in higher education.
Gross Enrolment ratio
- It is the number of students enrolled in an education system irrespective of their age. It is expressed in percentage of official school age population.
- The All India Survey on Higher Education, AISHE report prepared by the Ministry of Education (earlier Ministry of Human and Resource Development) provide details about the gender gap in the country.
Key findings of AISHE, 2019
- According to the report, the gender gap in the country in 2019 has narrowed as compared to that of the previous year.
- The female students constituted to around 48.6% of total enrolment in higher education in 2019.
- More girls were enrolled in the states of Karnataka and Uttar Pradesh as compared to that of other states in higher education.
- The number of female students participating in higher education per hundred male students has gone up from 90 in 2018 to 95 in 2019.