What is Carnivac-Cov Vaccine?
The first animal vaccine against the novel coronavirus in the world has been registered in Russia. It was announced by the country’s agriculture safety watchdog Rosselkhoznadzor.
- The world’s first animal vaccine against the novel coronavirus has been named as Carnivac-Cov.
- As per the watchdog, the immunity will last for 6 months after the vaccination. However, the developers of the dose are continuously analyzing this.
- As per Rosselkhoznadzor, the mass production of the Covid-19 vaccine is expected to start as early as April 2021.
- As per Russian scientists, the use of this vaccine can prevent the development of virus mutations in animals.
All about Carnivac-Cov
- Carnivac-Cov vaccine for animals has been developed by a unit of Rosselkhoznadzor (Federal Service for Veterinary and Phytosanitary Surveillance).
- The clinical trials of Carnivac-Cov began in October 2020 and the trials included cats, minks, dogs, foxes, Arctic foxes, and other animals.
- This vaccine is the world’s first and only product for preventing Covid-19 in animals.
- The results of the trials showed that the vaccine is harmless and highly immunogenic as all the vaccinated animals developed antibodies to the coronavirus in 100% of cases.
Covid-19 Cases in Russia
Coronavirus cases in Russia rose by 8,711 to 4,528,543 on 29 March. Russia already has 3 Covid-19 vaccines for humans to deal with the pandemic. The most popular vaccine used for humans is Sputnik V. Moscow has also given emergency approval to two others, CoviVac and EpiVacCorona.
Category: International Current Affairs