Vital Statistics of India based on Civil Registration System, 2018 released by Registrar General of India
The Registrar General of India recently released the Vital Statistics of India based on Civil Registration System. The report mainly provides insights on Sex Ratios in various states of India.
What is Sex Ratio?
It is the number of females born per thousand males.
Key Findings of the report
- Arunachal Pradesh was the state with highest Sex Ratio. The sex ratio of the state was 1084.
- The state of Manipur had the least Sex Ratio of 757.
- Nagaland was at second position with 965, Mizoram at third place with 964, Kerala at fourth place with 963 and Karnataka at fifth place with sex ratio of 957.
- The sex ratio of Jammu and Kashmir was at 952, Delhi at 929 and Haryana at 914.
- According to the report, the registration of births have increased to 89.3% as compared to 81.3% in 2009.
Efforts of GoI to improve Sex Ratio
The government of India is implementing the following schemes to increase sex ratio of the country.
- Beti Bachao Beti Padao
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana: It is a small savings scheme that targets the parents of girl children. It was launched as a part of Beti Bachao Beti Padao campaign.
- Pradhan Mantri Matritva Vandhana yojana
- Rashtriya Mahila Kosh
National Girl Child Day
Every year, the National Girl Child Day is celebrated on January 24 in India. This is being celebrated since 2008. The day is celebrated to spread awareness about rights of girl child and to make the living status of girls better. The day also highlights inequalities faced by them their whole life and gender discrimination faced by them.
The International Day of the Girl Child is celebrated on October 11.
Challenges in implementing the schemes
- There are insufficient resources and insufficient qualified staffs.
- There is very limited infrastructure to support the schemes.
- The performance of advisory committees at varied levels is poor.
- Very limited knowledge and poor understanding of laws and procedures.
Category: Reports & Indexes Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|