Veteran actor Shashi Kapoor named for Dadasaheb Phalke Award 2014
Veteran actor and film producer Shashi Kapoor has been named for the prestigious Dada Saheb Phalke Award 2014. He is the 46th film personality to receive this honour.
About Shashi Kapoor
- He was born as Balbir Raj Prithviraj Kapoor on 18 March 1938 in Kolkata, West Bengal.
- Shashi Kapoor had started his acting career at the age of four, by acting in the plays directed by his father Prithviraj Kapoor. Since then he has appeared in 160 movies altogether, 12 being in English and the rest in Hindi.
- He is best-known for his performances in Hindi films like ‘Jab Jab Phool Khile’, ‘Deewar’ and ‘Kabhi Kabhie’.
- Apart from acting in movies, he also had worked as a film director, assistant director and film producer.
- Awards- For his contribution to cinema, he has been conferred many awards including
- National Film Award for Best actor for the film New Delhi Times (1986),
- National Film Award Special Jury Award / Special Mention (Feature Film) for Muhafiz (1993)
- National Film Award Best Feature Film in Hindi (as Producer) for Junoon in 1979.
- Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award (2010).
- Padma Bhushan (2011).
About Dadasaheb Phalke Award
- India’s highest award in cinema.
- Established in 1969 to commemorate the birth centenary year of father of Indian cinema Dadasaheb Phalke.
- The award is conferred annually by the Union Government to person for his lifetime contribution to Indian cinema.
- Award comprises a Swarna Kamal (Golden Lotus) medallion, a cash prize of 10 lakh rupees and a shawl.
Category: Awards, Persons & Places in News