Vayoshreshtha Samman 2014
Vayoshreshtha Samman or The National Awards for Senior Citizens were presented by Sumitra Mahajan, Speaker of Lok Sabha in the presence of Thaawar Chand Gehlot, Union Minster for Social Justice & Empowerment and Minister of State Sudarshan Bhagat.
The government has been conferring Vayoshrestha Samman every year since 2005, but it has been given the status of a national award only since 2013. The Awards are given to eminent citizens and institutions in recognition of their outstanding services to the elderly people, especially indigent senior citizens.
International Day of Older Persons
International Day of Older Persons is observed on the 1st of October every year in accordance with a UNGA resolution. This day is used to highlight the contributions of the elderly and also raise awareness about issues such as elderly abuse. The theme this year was ‘Leaving No One Behind: Promoting a Society for All’. The Vayoshreshtha Samman Awards are given every year on the International Day of Older Persons
Welfare of Senior Citizens
The government has introduced a slew of policies and schemes for the welfare of senior citizens like the Plan Scheme of integrated programme for older persons, National Policy on Older Persons and the enactment of the Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act in 2007.
List of main awardees:
- Best Institution for research in the field of Ageing to Department of Geriatric Medicine : AIIMS
- Best Institution for providing services to senior citizens and Awareness Generation : HelpAge India
- Best District Panchayat in Providing Services and Facilities to Senior Citizens : Dakshina Kannada Zilla Panchayath, Karnataka
Centenarian : Brig. M.L. Kataria (Retd.)
- Life time Achievement : Prof. (Dr.) P.K.B. Nayar
- Creative Art : Ms. Sushma Seth
- Sports and Adventure (Female) : Ms. Chandra Prabha Aitwal, Uttarkashi
Category: Awards, Persons & Places in News
Topics: Vayoshreshtha Samman