Update : Terror attack in Somalia
In a suicide bomb and gun attack on a hotel in southern Somalia, several people, including journalists and politicians, were killed.
What has happened?
- The authorities said that a suicide bomber rammed a vehicle loaded with explosives into the popular Medina hotel in the port city of Kismayo on Friday. This was followed by a gunfight in which several journalists and politicians were killed.
- The area’s legislators and local elders were discussing an upcoming local election in the hotel which was also been attended by several Somali Journalists. The city, on the most popular in the city, was also hosting several foreigners.
- The armed group al-Shabab, (which is believed by many to be linked to al-Qaeda) claims to have carried out this attack.
- The final aim of the al-Shabab is to topple the Somali government.
- As per the locals, several gunmen entered and started shooting at the occupants inside the building but the security forces responded quickly and engaged in a gunfight with the attackers.
What is al-Shabab?
Al-Shabab is a major fundamentalist group which was ejected from Mogadishu in 2011 and has since been driven from most of its other strongholds. In 2012, it was driven out of Kismayo, whose port had been a major source of revenue for the group.
Outside of Kismayo, al-Shabab still controls parts of Jubbaland, a region in southern Somalia.
The armed group remains a major security threat, with its fighters frequently carrying out bombings in Somalia and neighboring Kenya, whose troops form part of the African Union-mandated peacekeeping force that helps defend the Somali government.
Tigray Crisis: Ethiopia adds TPLF, OLF Shene to terror list
The Ethiopian Government has recently added the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF) and OLF-Sh...
Who are FACT rebels of Chad?
The Libya based rebels that are currently attacking Chad are called FACT. FACT is Front for Change a...
BRICS seminar on Misuse of Internet by Terrorists
The National Investigation Agency recently organised a two-day virtual event with BRICS countries on...
UN asks Somalia To Organize Elections
The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) have asked the government of Somalia on March 12, 2021 to...
India’s Eight Point Action Plan to UNSC to combat terrorism
The External Affairs Minister Dr S Jaishankar recently addressed the United Nations Security Council...
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|