Former Union Minister Sheila Kaul passes away
Former Himachal Pradesh governor and ex-union minister Sheila Kaul passed away in New Delhi. She was 101.
She was a sister-in-law of India’s first Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru and Indira Gandhi’s maternal aunt.
About Sheila Kaul
- Lok Sabha: Kaul was elected as Member of Parliament to Lok Sabha five times in 1971, 1980 and 1984 (from Lucknow ) and in 1989, 1991 (from Rae Bareli).
- Union Minister: She had served as Minister of State (MoS) for Culture, Education and Social Welfare (Independent Charge) from1980–84 in Indira Gandhi Government. It should be noted that during this period she was union Cabinet Minister.
- Later she had served as Union Minister for Housing and Urban Development from 1991 to 1995.
- Governor: She had served as Governor of Himachal Pradesh from 1995 to 1996.
- Apart from being a politician, she was also an educationist, social worker, social reformer and an independence activist in British India from Uttar Pradesh.
Month: Current Affairs - June, 2015