Union Health Minister chairs 74th World Health Assembly
Minister of Health & Family Welfare and Chairman of WHO Executive Board, Dr Harsh Vardhan, chaired 74th World Health Assembly in virtual mode on May 24, 2021.
- Director-General of World Health Organisation, Dr Tedros, also participated in the event.
- According to Dr Harsh Vardhan, executive board has asked for further efforts which can ensure fair and equitable access to COVID-19 vaccines under COVAX Facility.
- Board recommended 74th World Health Assembly to consider report on mental health preparedness and response for Covid-19 pandemic.
- It further recommended to endorse updated comprehensive Mental Health Action Plan for 2013 to 2030 and encouraged WHO to work in collaboration with World Organisation for Animal Health and Food & Agriculture Organisation so that source of zoonotic virus can be identified.
- It asked members to take action on addressing diabetes as a public health problem and recommended 74th World Health Assembly to present a road map related to “global action plan for prevention & control of non-communicable diseases” by end of 2030.
About World Health Assembly
World Health assembly is key decision-making body of WHO. Assembly is attended by delegations from Member States of WHO. It focuses on specific health agenda, prepared by Executive Board. Primary functions of the assembly include- determining policies of Organization, appointing Director-General, supervising financial policies, and reviewing & approving proposed programme budget. Health Assembly is held in Geneva, Switzerland annually.
Month: Current Affairs - May, 2021
Category: Summits and Conferences
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|