Union Government declares NSCN(K) as terror organization
Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has declared Naga militant outfit National Socialist Council of Nagaland (Khaplang) formally known as NSCN (K) as a terrorist organization.
In this regard MHA has issued an official gazette notification mentioning that
- NSCN (K) and all its formations and front organisations have been declared as a terrorist organization under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, 1967.
- NSCN (K) has resorted to terrorism by killing civilians and security forces and in June 2015 it was engaged in other violent activities including the attack on an Army convoy in Chandel district of Manipur.
About National Socialist Council of Nagaland- Khaplang
- NSCN (K) came into existence in 1988 under the leadership of S.S. Khaplang.
- It is as an offshoot of NSCN which was established with an objective of forming a sovereign state of Nagalim by unifying all the areas inhabited by the Naga people in Northeast India and Myanmar.
- Presently NSCN-K is active along the Indo-Myanmar border and has strength of around 1,000 cadres with several camps across the border in Myanmar.